About the vacancy
Would you like to share our passion for berries?
We are looking for an ambitious Variety Development Coordinator, who will join Driscoll’s Global R&D Team in Morocco.
What do you say when someone asks what you do all day?
“My main focus is to take responsibility for the successful execution of raspberry, blueberry, blackberry and strawberry breeding trials for the district.”
During the first 12 months of your tenure the Variety Development Coordinator will also be tasked to develop and execute a smooth path for the movement of Driscoll’s R&D plant material from Europe to Morocco under the supervision of the R&D Nursery Lead. You will be required to work cross-functionally with regional Trials Plot Managers, Applied Researchers, Nursery Managers and District Operations Personnel to assist with the identification, promotion and commercialization of new improved cultivars. You will also be required to communicate directly with Moroccan Government and Border Officials and governing bodies while executing plant movement.
You have responsibilities in different areas, such as:
- Identify and develop novel berry cultivars that are adapted to the Moroccan growing and production regions, superior for target traits, stable in performance and meet business unit requirements
- Assist in designing and planting variety development trials, provide guidance for test plot and postharvest staff for daily activities and priorities and ensure high accuracy of collected data.
- Conduct independent evaluations of selections and varieties for horticultural characteristics, encompassing field ratings, yield, shelf life, and flavor in all four berries.
- Collect, analyse and report results to various audiences (peers, growers, retailers) on a regular basis though field tours, formal and informal meetings.
- Actively participate in the local commercialization team which includes district applied research, agronomy and production personnel, to facilitate the successful introduction and commercialization of new varieties.
- Manage plant orders and plant logistics and develop and publish production guides.
- Ensure government requirements for entry of proprietary plant material to Morocco are met and timelines understood, at all times.
- Build relationships with government representatives at the point of entry into Morocco to ensure we are kept up to date about any sudden changes to plant entry requirements, paperwork and legislation.
- Working with local fruit district staff and growers to ensure the best opportunity for plant performance upon arrival.
- Develop, maintain and document processes for movement of plant material into Morocco. Ensure alignment with Breeding, Breeding Nursery, Clean Stock and the EMEA Business unit.
- Participate and represent Driscoll’s R&D at industry meetings locally and in Europe.
- Work directly with our strategic partners to also help keep them up to date with plant movement requirements .
The position requires superb verbal and written communication skills in English, Spanish, French and Arabic and the flexibility to work overtime during the fruiting season. Moderately high travel (30%) within country and a modest amount of international travel will also be compulsory to carry out duties as required.
- Master’s degree in Plant Science, Agronomy or another related field.
- A minimum of 5+ years’ experience working in the berry/horticultural industry.
- Experience/awareness of regulatory requirements for import/export of plant material would be preferred.
- Must demonstrate a high level of organizational skills with great attention to detail and the ability to manage multiple tasks efficiently and meet deadlines.
- Demonstrate the ability to link cross functional teams throughout the organization.
- Possess technical writing abilities in order to develop and document SOP’s/BMP’s.
- Must be able to maintain a valid Driver’s Licence with the ability to be insured under company sponsored liability.
- Must have valid passport and the ability to travel internationally.
Alongside a competitive wage, we offer you the opportunity to contribute to the growth of our experienced and ambitious organisation. Our success as a company depends on a creating an enabling environment where our people are energised, motivated, and empowered to perform at their highest level.
Driscoll’s is developing a strong position in the European berry market led by our EMEA headquarters in The Netherlands. We are a family owned company, established in California, with a true love for berries. Over the years, Driscoll’s has grown to be represented on each continent. We truly believe that our delicious fruits can make any ordinary moment in life more special. Help us to spread the berry joy and become our new team member!
Find out more about our organisation at: www.driscolls.eu
For more information, please contact Linda Ruijten, HR Business Partner: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Acquisition regarding this job opening is not appreciated